COMMERCE CITY, Colo. — The Colorado Rapids will protect 12 players from the Major League Soccer (MLS) expansion draft.
Tuesday’s MLS Expansion Draft will allow Charlotte FC, the league’s newest member, to build its inaugural roster.
Charlotte FC can draft up to five players from the eligible player list. Each MLS club may protect a total of 12 players from their roster.
Once a player has been claimed from a club’s list of eligible players, Charlotte FC may no longer select players from that club’s list. Clubs that have a player selected will receive $50,000 in General Allocation Money (GAC).
Rapids’ protected players:
- Goalkeepers: William Yarbrough
- Defenders: Lalas Abubakar, Lucas Esteves, Keegan Rosenberry, Danny Wilson
- Midfielder: Kellyn Acosta, Braian Galván, Mark-Anthony Kaye, Jack Price
- Forwards: Michael Barrios, Jonathan Lewis, Andre Shinyashiki
Rapids’ Homegrown Players automatically protected:
- Goalkeepers: Abraham Rodriguez
- Defenders: Sebastian Anderson, Michael Edwards, Kortne Ford, Auston Trusty
- Midfielders: Cole Bassett, Oliver Larraz, Philip Mayaka
- Forwards: Matt Hundley, Dantouma “Yaya” Touré, Darren Yapi
Players available for selection:
- Goalkeepers: Clint Irwin, Andre Rawls
- Defenders: Steven Beitashour, Jeremy Kelly, Drew Moor
- Midfielders Nicolás Mezquida, Younes Namli, Collen Warner
- Forwards: Dominique Badji, Diego Rubio
Several clubs are exempt from having players selected Tuesday because they had a player selected in the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft including San Jose Earthquakes, New York Red Bulls, Nashville SC, LA Galaxy, Orlando City SC.
Broncos podcast: Klis’ Mike Drop
Denver Broncos headlines, game previews and interviews with our 9NEWS insider Mike Klis.
> Top stories curated daily just for you! Sign up for the 9NEWSLETTER to get can’t-miss stories, Next and Broncos content, weather and more delivered right to your inbox.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Sports
MORE WAYS TO GET 9NEWS
Subscribe to our daily 9NEWSLETTER
Download the 9NEWS APP
Google Play: http://on9news.tv/1lWnC5n
HOW TO ADD THE 9NEWS APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KUSA.
For both Apple TV and Fire TV, search for “9news” to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.